Field Crew 2019
Field Crew—Lexington Community Farm—Lexington, MA
May 12 – August 31, 20 hours/week
About the farm:
Lexington Community Farm Coalition (LexFarm) is a non-profit certified organic farm. We are committed to increasing access to organic produce for households of all income levels. LexFarm provides hands-on education to foster connections to farmland, farming, and each other, through workshops, our CSA, and volunteer programs.
LexFarm was founded in 2009 in an effort to preserve the 7.9 acre Busa Farm upon its sale to the Town of Lexington. LexFarm incorporated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in 2011 and is currently in its sixth year of production on five acres. Produce is sold through a 200 share 20-week summer CSA, 75 share 8-week fall CSA, 60 share summer flower CSA, and farm stand. We have a busy flower and vegetable seedling sale during May weekends. We donate produce through two local food rescue organizations. In 2019 farm production will focus on improving yields, increasing efficiency, and improving soil health through reduced tillage, improved drainage, and targeted amendments. Farm leadership gives staff the education they need to succeed and take ownership of tasks.
The Field crew will work closely with farm staff, work shares, and volunteers to complete seedling production, planting, harvesting, washing and packing, irrigation, cultivation, record-keeping, and farm maintenance tasks.
Hours (may vary for the right candidate):
- 20 hours/week May 12th – August 31st. Field Crew work Tuesday-Friday in the fields roughly 7:30-12:30.
- In the case of extreme weather, there may not be work available for all or part of a day.
The right candidate will be interested in sustainable agriculture, self-motivated, quick, responsible, attentive to detail, curious,
flexible, and comfortable communicating with a wide variety of people. This position involves working both independently
and with a group.
- Ability to work outdoors in all kinds of weather
- Punctuality. All staff are expected to be dressed for the weather when the work day begins.
- A positive attitude and good sense of humor
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and work independently
- Ability to bend and lift 50 pounds repeatedly
-Benefits include: compensation at $12.00/hour, produce from the farm, discount on local products in the farm
stand, Worker’s Compensation, and paid holidays.
There is some flexibility with dates for qualified candidates.
We will accept applications from now until March 3. Applicants will be contacted the week of March 4 to schedule interviews if needed.
Please send the following to Allison and Emmy at [email protected]:
- A resume highlighting relevant experience
- A paragraph explaining your interest in the position and why you would like to work at LexFarm