Assistant Grower 2019
Assistant Grower—Lexington Community Farm—Lexington, MA
April 1 – October 26, 24-32 hours/week
About the farm:
Lexington Community Farm Coalition (LexFarm) is a non-profit certified organic farm. We are committed to increasing access to organic produce for households of all income levels. LexFarm provides hands-on education to foster connections to farmland, farming, and each other, through workshops, our CSA, and volunteer programs.
LexFarm was founded in 2009 in an effort to preserve the 7.9 acre Busa Farm upon its sale to the Town of Lexington. LexFarm incorporated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in 2011 and is currently in its sixth year of production on five acres. Produce is sold through a 200 share 20-week summer CSA, 75 share 8-week fall CSA, 60 share summer flower CSA, and farm stand. We have a busy flower and vegetable seedling sale during May weekends. We donate produce through two local food rescue organizations. In 2019 farm production will focus on improving yields, increasing efficiency, and improving soil health through reduced tillage, improved drainage, and targeted amendments. Farm leadership gives staff the
education they need to succeed and take ownership of tasks.
The Assistant Grower will work closely with farm staff, work shares, and volunteers to complete seedling production, field prep, planting, harvesting, washing and packing, irrigation, cultivating, record-keeping, and farm maintenance tasks. The Assistant Grower will be given necessary training in order to:
- lead the farm crew and/or volunteers in the absence of the Farm Managers.
- perform basic tractor maintenance, and use machinery to cultivate, prepare fields, and maintain the property.
- help with farm stand sales and CSA distribution as needed.
Hours (may vary for the right candidate):
- 24 hours/week April 1- April 27th, including some weekends in the greenhouse
- 32 hours/week April 29th – September 29th, generally Tuesday-Friday, including some weekends in May
- 24 hours/week September 30th- October 26th
Hours vary throughout the season but are generally: 7:30-3:30 with a mid-morning break and lunch break. Wednesday’s
schedule may be adjusted if the Assistant Grower would like to attend EMass CRAFT trainings.
The right candidate will be self-motivated, quick, responsible, attentive to detail, curious, flexible, and comfortable
communicating with a wide variety of people. This position involves working both independently and with a group.
- A minimum of one season’s farm experience, plus two year’s work experience in any field (part-time/seasonally while in
school is fine)
- Comfortable working with basic Excel spreadsheets
- A positive attitude and good sense of humor, in all kinds of weather
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and work independently
- Ability to bend and lift 50 pounds repeatedly
- Punctuality. All staff are expected to be dressed for the weather when the work day begins.
Benefits include: compensation at $13.50/hour, produce from the farm, discount on local products in the farm stand,
Worker’s Compensation, 3 days paid vacation to accumulate with hours, paid holidays, and 3 paid CRAFT meetings per
There is some flexibility with dates for qualified candidates.
We will accept applications from now until March 3. Applicants will be contacted the week of March 4 to schedule interviews if needed.
Please send the following to Allison and Emmy at [email protected]:
- A resume highlighting relevant experience
- A paragraph explaining your interest in the position and why you would like to work at LexFarm